For those awaiting the MPRE results in order to be licensed
Applicants awaiting the MPRE results from the April 2013 MPRE examination, and who had their results sent to Virginia, please DO NOT CALL the office to find out if we have received your scores or to inquire about when you are going to be licensed.
Those applicants who passed a previous Virginia bar exam (February 2013 or prior), have met all requirements, and are otherwise qualified, will be licensed no later than May 15, 2013.
Upon being licensed, a letter will be sent to the address on record advising you of your licensure and the procedures to then follow.
If you have changed your address, please complete a Change of Address form.
February 2013 Bar Examination
• Results: Click here for information regarding the results for the February 2013 bar exam.
• Admission Ceremony: Click here for information about the date, time, and location of the admission ceremony for those applicants who pass the bar exam and are licensed by the Board.
Help with VBBE Forms Wizard
• Eliminate Forms Wizard Crashes. If your Forms Wizard is left unattended and your computer shuts down, it will cause the Forms Wizard to crash. All answers are saved immediately so there is no need to leave the Forms Wizard open. If your Forms Wizard crashes, call 804-367-0412 for assistance. Do Not Reinstall.
• Forms Wizard Expiration. If your Forms Wizard has expired, please call 804-367-0412 to obtain a password.
• Assistance. Click here to see our VBBE Forms Wizard FAQ. If you need additional assistance with our VBBE Forms Wizard or help troubleshooting how it works with your computer, please contact our systems administrator via 804-367-0412.
|May 10, 2013
Filing Deadline for July 2013 Bar Examination - more information
|May 17, 2013
Confirmation of Application Receipt - more information
|May 20, 2013 - July 1, 2013
Application Processing and Notification of Items Required - more information
|June 5, 2013
Posting July 2013 Virginia Bar Exam Instructions (Handwriting) - more information
Posting July 2013 Virginia Bar Exam Instructions (Laptop) - more information
|June 12 2013
Laptop Program Registration Begins - more information
|July 1, 2013
Laptop Program Registration Ends - more information
|July 30-31, 2013
July 2013 Bar Examination in Roanoke, VA - more information
The Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (the "Board") is an agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In addition, its statutory authority is found in § 54.1-3919 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The Board is responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants for admission to the Bar of Virginia and licensing those applicants who meet those requirements as established by the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Virginia General Assembly, and the Rules and Regulations issued by the Board.
We can be contacted at the address and phone number above. We try to respond to all correspondence within 48 hours of our receipt, workload permitting. In order to give our staff time to perform all of their required duties, our voice telephone lines are open between the hours of 10:00 AM and Noon and 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM Monday - Friday. At other times (or if all lines are busy during those hours), you will hear a recording. Before telephoning, please see if your questions can be answered by the information on this site.
We want to provide you with as much information as possible on the bar admission process in Virginia. On this website, you will find:
- Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Virginia Bar.
- Information about the Bar Examination and all its components, including the Character & Fitness Questionnaire.
- Information on Admission on Motion (without examination for persons who may be qualified by virtue of their years of experience in the full-time licensed practice of law in a reciprocal jurisdiction.)
- Information on the Law Reader Program.
- Information on Military Legal Assistance Attorney, Foreign Legal Consultant, and Virginia State Bar Reinstatement.